Monday, August 3, 2009

Day Two Hundred and Fifteen: Hot Pants


One of my favorite pictures of my dog Farley (and believe me, there are plenty) is a shot taken from the ground looking up at him flying in a magnificent leap, legs stretched before him and behind him like wings guiding him through the air.

There is a spot in Burcham Park in Lawrence, near my house, where I thought we could recreate that picture for today's blog entry.

As far as dogs go, Farley is pretty good about working for a camera: he'll stay in almost any position, and faithfully (or at least grudgingly) do most anything I ask him to do.

And so I thought today's picture would be a breeze.

What I did not factor into the equation, however, was the effect that the warm summer sun (and indeed a lack of any kind of breeze) combined with Farley's black fur coat would have on his body temperature and corresponding energy level.

By the time I got my camera all propped up and ready to go, with temperatures creeping up into the mid-90s, Farley was about as willing to jump as an acrophobic skydiver without a parachute.

I managed to coax him into a few lethargic jumps, but in the end it seemed that the best way to capture the theme of this hot day was to take it straight from the horse's -- er, make that dog's -- mouth.


Mission somewhat accomplished, I packed up the camera and headed out with my faithful friend in search of air conditioning, vowing to return to take the "great leap" photo on another, cooler day.

No comments:

Post a Comment