Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day Three-Hundred: The Day the Music (almost) Died


A few years ago I picked up a travel guitar on my way to the Kansas City Airport.

I forget where the first trip brought the instrument and me, but that destination and a couple dozen others have been documented on the guitar itself with the use of permanent markers and a little creativity (and my grade-school drawing skills).

I have enjoyed the Baby Taylor guitar for its ability to pack easily, fit on planes, and withstand most any kind of durability-testing force.

Most any.

Yesterday the guitar, which has been on countless trips and helped me write many songs, met the wrong side of a car tire (is there a right side?) and suffered a broken neck.

The result: instant paralysis and loss of all functionality.

However, we are hoping for a full recovery within two weeks, once a transplant is completed. Technicians are waiting on an new neck to be flown in before they can operate.

After the operation Baby Taylor should be as good as new and playing again immediately!

(I have not heard yet if this is the first ever neck transplant performed on a Baby, but I do know the procedure is very rare. We hope for the best.)


No comments:

Post a Comment