Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day Ninety-Eight: Joy in Mudville?

The Lawrence city softball league saw the throwing of its opening pitch this week, and as I took the field with my familiar team (the Cheap Suits*) I was reminded of the classic poem, "Casey At the Bat," by Ernest Thayer.

In that poem the team from Mudville puts their hopes and dreams on the back of their over-confident slugger Casey, who ultimately strikes out to end the game ("there is no joy in Mudville...").

I am hardly a slugger when it comes to batting (I once had someone offer me a free lunch at Taco Bell if I hit a softball out of the park, and the best I could manage was a ball that hit the top of the outfield fence and fell back into the stadium...I received half of a leftover burrito), yet somehow I found my way into the #3 spot in the batting order, right where a slugger would usually be.

Now, that's not to say I haven't ever hit a home run. In fact, I have hit homers in Kansas, Oregon, and Wisconsin, thank you very much (I 've been traded by a few teams in my softball career). But, I could count on one hand the number of home runs I had hit.

Until today.

That's right! With two men on and two men out and the game tied in the pivotal 5th inning, this mighty Casey(?) stepped to bat for the Cheap Suits. And, with one crushing blow of what one can only assume was an illegally weighted and spring-loaded bat, the ball landed 300 feet from home plate, over the left field fence! Home run! Hoorah for me! Right? Wrong.


Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;


The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;

And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;

But there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey.......forgot that his softball team dropped down to the 'D' league this year which no longer allows home runs but instead counts them as "outs." With one crushing blow mighty Casey ended the inning and left two runners stranded.

Way to go, Casey.




*it seems the key to naming a softball team properly is to use as bad a pun as you can. Besides the aforementioned "Cheap Suits," I have played for two psychology-student teams: "the Psych-Outs," and "Pink Freud."

No comments:

Post a Comment