Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day Two Hundred and Four: Lots'a Fur = Lucyfar!


It's a given. When you have dogs, you have dog hair.

It will turn up in the most unlikely of places - your office at work, your food at a restaurant, yourself even after a shower....I once had a friend living in another state find some of my dog Farley's hair on his clothing, even though Farley had never set paw inside his house (or in that same state, for that matter).

The point is, it gets everywhere.

I find it both fascinating and disgusting to watch my vacuum cleaner fill not with dust or dirt, but with hair, after a mere few swipes of the carpet.

As much as I get the feeling of satisfaction only a (slightly anal-retentive) dog owner could know watching that ringed clump of hair and dust (okay, so there's a little dust, too) fall out of the canister after I vacuum...sometimes it's nice to cut the problem off at the source.

Enter the Furminator.

No, the governor of California is not being sent from the future to eliminate all dogs with shedding problems. The furminator is a slightly less-cool, less-cyborgish hunk of metal used to brush out the loose hair beneath a dog's coat.

Using the furminator on Lucy (Emily's golden retriever/yellow lab) and Farley (my border collie/black lab) today produced nearly a full plastic grocery bag's worth of loose fur - fur that otherwise would have been found in my carpet, my furniture, or (for all you know) your cereal bowl.

Having already admitted my slight(ly disgusting) fascination with the amount of hair these dogs can produce, I thought I would take all of that fur and create the subject of today's picture: the devilish creature formed from the hair of Lucy and Farley I like to call, Lucyfar:



Almost as scary as Arnold, eh?

If I've learned one thing from dog ownership, it's that, try as you may to keep a dog's shedding at bay, it is a force that can never be stopped.

And as sure as the next Terminator sequel is already in the works, this much I know about our friend Mr. Lucyfar:

He'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment