Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day Fifty-Five: This Ain't Goodbye...

Today is Fat Tuesday, and another Mardi Gras celebration is coming to a close. There wasn't much raucous celebrating to be found around here today - I guess Lawrence, KS isn't quite New Orleans...and although there are a few times a year when Mass Street might resemble Bourbon Street, downtown Larryville is no Vieux Carré.

Fat Tuesday not only marks the end of the Carnival celebration, it also signifies the beginning of Lent with the dawn of Ash Wednesday. Lent is a time for purification, preparation and reconciliation. For some Mardi Grasers it might take 40 days and 40 nights to reconcile a particularly gluttonous Fat Tuesday.

For others Lent becomes a time to challenge one's self by doing extra or doing without. My "doing extra" this time around involves extra time praying and extra time sleeping. My "without" list includes time wasted (which compliments the extra time sleeping), the snooze button on the alarm clock (always a toughy), and...the cherry Cokes.

Well, all pop, actually. Or soda, if you prefer. Either way, this particular carbonated beverage will not be making an appearance in my stomach until Easter Sunday rolls around. The unopened 2-Liter bottle of Pepsi in my fridge will stay unopened. The grenadine in my cabinet will go untouched. And as the maraschino cherries...well, there are always ice-cream sundaes, I guess.

What's that? I gave those up, too?

*sigh*

Oh well, April 12th isn't that far away. And as much as I will be looking forward to wasting time sleeping in, hitting the snooze button while guzzling cherry Coke ice-cream floats (?), there will probably be even more important things to celebrate that Sunday.

Farewell, cherry Cokes. As the Honeydogs sing,

Raise your glasses high
This ain't goodbye -
It's just so long for a while.


Photographer's Notes: If anyone is looking to get me an "Ash Wednesday gift," a wireless flash for my camera would do the trick! I was not able to get the lighting/shadows I wanted using the built-in flash for this shot, so I eventually resorted to covering the flash with my hand. The streak of light you see in the photo above is the flash sneaking through my fingers.

Also, a special thanks to friend Jordan for suggesting the pool table as a backdrop for the picture - that gave it the Mardi Gras coloring it needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment