Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day Fifty Nine: What A Difference A Day Made

Five days ago I strolled out to Potter's Lake in 60° weather to capture my photo of the day wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Temperatures this warm are hardly the norm for late February in Kansas, but they are not unheard of either. In fact, I remember enjoying a rather nice round of golf last year about this time (turns out I play better when I haven't practiced in three months).

Even yesterday it was warm enough to enjoy playing with the dogs outside without thinking about wearing a jacket. What a difference a day made. This morning Lawrence woke up to two fresh inches of snow on the ground and the freezing temperatures to match.

Here is a photo of campus this morning, with Potter's Lake in the foreground and Fraser Hall disappearing in the distance, obscured by the falling snow.

As a student at KU I learned to adapt to the rapid temperature changes in this region. Some nights I would leave the window in my un-air-conditioned dorm room open to keep from sweating myself to sleep in the stifling heat, only to wake up in the morning like a frozen Pete-sicle following a 30° temperature swing.

Not convinced yet of how quickly things can change in Kansas? Here are two photos - on the left is my pic-of-the-day from a few days ago, and on the right is the same scene today. Consider this: both pictures are in color.

(click to enlarge)

A day made quite a difference for the appearance of Lawrence. I guess the golf will have to wait for a little while longer...at least 24 little hours.

1 comment:

  1. This may be my favorite study in contrasts. Very cool way of capturing the changing weather in KS!

    ReplyDelete