Thursday, February 5, 2009

Day Thirty-Six: Moth to a Flame

I headed out to Kansas City today to run some errands in the "big city," with the intention of capturing a new scene for my picture of the day - the KC skyline, perhaps. In fact, I had the exact spot in mind - the city's WWI Memorial provides a great view that overlooks downtown from a distance (with Union Station, the remodeled train depot, in the foreground).

That particular KC skyline pic is one I had taken before, but never at this time of day (mid-afternoon). The shadows added a new dimension, and I actually had a whole series of photos I thought I would post including pictures of the memorial as well as the downtown skyline.

But then I turned around and saw the sunlight silhouetted in this unlit lamp (a lamp I had also photographed before, but again not at this time of day). At that moment a plane was flying through the sky in the background. After a quick click, I got this picture, which is just as I described - but I can picture it another way: a lit lamp with the trail of a moth shown flying into the light.

I decided to post this picture, even though I really liked the skyline photos, because 1) I thought it was an interesting visual deception, 2) it was a pretty rare opportunity (things had to be timed just right), and 3) the KC skyline will be there to photograph another day.

Oh, but if you do want to check out some of my past photos of KC and other city skylines, you can check them out here. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment