Monday, February 9, 2009

Day Forty: How High the Moon

Driving home tonight I saw something out of the corner of my eye sitting just over the horizon. At second glance I recognized it as the moon glowing through the trees - it was so large and brightly colored that it took me by surprise. I had to pull over and take a picture before it rose higher in the sky, seemed to shrink, and turned it's typical moon-white color.

The science geek in me wants to explain to you that although the moon appears larger over the horizon this is only an optical illusion of sorts, and that the orange color is due to the light of certain wavelengths (green, blue, etc.) being refracted by particles in the atmosphere.

But what do I know? Maybe this is just the cheddar cheese phase of the moon, and it will turn to mozzarella as it climbs higher through the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment