Friday, February 20, 2009

Day Fifty-One: Byrd On a Wire

My guitar hasn't seen much action in the past few weeks. Thanks to a losing battle with laryngitis I've been somewhat silenced musically as of late.

I haven't been able to sing, and since I treat the guitar mostly as an accompaniment to my singing, I haven't been playing much of the ol' 6-string lately either.

Oh sure, I could use this time to hone my solo guitar skills and become a more well-rounded musician. But I'd much rather sit sullenly on my couch and brood over that which I have lost, lamenting the fact that I can no longer (temporarily) sing, and writing songs of the unrequited love that my vocal folds must now be feeling.

Or I'm just lazy.

Either way, today my desire to play and sing overcame my stubbornness and I finally went to the doctor for some medication. Hopefully I am on the mend and will be building back the calluses on my guitar-playing fingertips in no time.

The guitar pick that you see in between the strings of today's picture came from the stage of a Tracy Byrd concert in Iowa City. I forget the name of the little bar he played, except that I referred to it as "the aviary" - I mean, we were all Byrd watching, after all.

Tracy is one of my favorites, not only because the songs he records are so good, but because he always puts on an authentic, down home, fun live performance, and consistently plays small, intimate venues when he could most likely sell out to a much bigger crowd.

I hope to see Tracy live in concert again soon.
I hope to hear him played on my guitar even sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment