Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day One Hundred and Fifty-Four: D.O.F.

One important thing for a photographer to consider while composing a shot is the depth of field.

Depth of field refers to the range of objects within a picture that are in focus. This can depend on the type of lens used and the amount of light allowed into the camera during an exposure.

In this shot of walkway lights alongside the Van Go mobile arts studio by my house, a telephoto lens and short exposure time produced a rather narrow depth of field, with only one lamp in sharp focus.

Depth of field is a useful tool in determining what the focal point of a picture will be. When used effectively, a small depth of field can make the rest of the world a blur, drowning out everything except one key element.

Of course, there are other times when it is more beneficial to look at the big picture - to be able to see everything around you in full focus. John Wayne would have looked far less impressive during his rides along the Rio Grande had the majestic mountain peaks in the background or the rushing river in the foreground been nothing but a blur.

For me, finding the appropriate depth of field is a continuous challenge. Not just in my photography. There are times when I fail to look at the big picture, and instead narrow my view to minor (and often insignificant) details.

There are other times when I would be better served to focus my efforts in one area, instead of allowing myself to be distracted by everything around me.

Finding that perfect depth of field can be a challenging, delicate, and ever changing balancing act.

It is an important tool in showing the perspective of life through art - and - it is an essential element in the art of keeping life in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment