Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day One Hundred and Sixty-One: Faithful Friend

One of my favorite things to do when I have some free time is to record music. I even have a room in my place dedicated to my musical pursuits.

This third bedroom has been dubbed "the recording studio," and though it contains a lot of musical instruments and a computer for recording them, any real audio engineer would scoff at the room's lack of acceptable acoustics and professional niceties.

It is a recording studio in the same sense that my spare closet packed with boxes of textbooks from my undergraduate days would be considered a library.

Nonetheless I love my time in the studio, as isolating as it may be. Fortunately I have somehow managed to surround myself with friends that understand and are acceptable of me disappearing for hours at a time while I work out a new tune.

As exciting as it may seem to some (including me), recording a band in a studio is actually quite boring when the "band" is but one person playing instrument after instrument, laying one track on top of another until a song is complete.

I hesitate to invite anybody to watch the process, for fear of death from boredom - hearing me "knock out" a guitar solo can be like listening to a broken record repeat itself over and over and over and over...

Yet there is one friend who ever-faithfully listens to every note:

...Of course, he lacks the opposable thumbs needed to turn the doorknob and escape, but I'd like to think that as he rests curled up in a ball just outside the room, Farley enjoys the time in the recording studio too.

Now I can't force the rest of you to listen like I do with Farley, but I may share some finished products with you as I start spinning them out later this summer.

In the meantime, you can expect a few more pictures from the recording studio, as that is where I am spending most of my time these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment