Friday, January 9, 2009

Day Nine: Rack'em!

The title of this blog, "One Click, One Pic A Day," might be a bit misleading. While I try to limit myself to posting only one picture per day, seldom if ever does that mean I only use one "click" of the camera shutter. Today's pic was the closest I have come to this feat so far in the blog.

Sitting at Johnny's Tavern in Lawrence, Emily and I were enjoying a post-Christmas Christmas party with her coworkers, both still looking for our pictures of the day. The pool table caught my eye and I thought I could capture the action of the initial break to a new game.

I wanted a shot of the cue ball speeding toward a freshly racked triangle, but I was a little late. I think I like these results even better. There's a lot of outward motion in all directions, and the faint v-shape traces of motion at the bottom (white) and top (red) of balls bouncing off the sides of the table.

I look forward to the day when it takes me only one click to get a satisfying picture, but I'm nowhere near that point yet. It's much easier for me to snap a few pics, take a look at the results (thank you digital cameras), and see what, if anything, I can adjust to make a more interesting picture. Of course, with action shots this usually isn't possible - so even though I didn't hold the camera completely still during the prolonged exposure (notice how the side of the table is blurry), I wasn't about to ask these two kind strangers at the bar to re-rack and break again so I could get a better shot.

Altogether there were only two clicks of the camera: one was a pre-break practice shot, and the second is the one that is posted here. Take a look at Emily's blog for another Johnny's pic and to see her daily posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment