Monday, January 12, 2009

Day Twelve: My Refuge

I've spent a lot of time sitting at this keyboard. Much more time than I ever intended. And I'm not complaining one bit.

This keyboard has afforded me many opportunities. It has been my refuge after long days. At times it has made the long days grow even longer. Most importantly it has helped me extend myself in music, in friendship, and in faith.

This keyboard sits near the sanctuary of St. John's Catholic Church in Lawrence, where I serve as the director of the Jubilate choir - a collection of singers and instrumentalists who (to my good fortune) need little direction to make an amazing sound. And for those who might not be able to hear the music we make, sign language interpreters help to translate our lyrics. I consider myself blessed to work with such a talented collection of musicians and friends.

The keyboard can also be a lonely and solemn place, and I love it for that, too. I guess that was the mood I was trying to capture in this picture.

Originally I had hoped to have another person at the keyboard in this scene - someone that seemed to appear out of nowhere and give that instrument a new sound, something it hadn't quite heard before. For reasons I know I won't fully understand, that person was hesitant to have their photograph taken. Suffice it to say that God's gifts are all around us and they sometimes come in surprising packages.

I'm thankful for the gift of music in my life, all that it has brought me, and all I have been able to give through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment