Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day Twenty-Five: In a Blur

January is on the move, rolling steadily onward and pushing her predecessor December and her compatriot holidays of Christmas and New Years ever farther behind. Soon it will be inevitable: time to take down the lights. I already feel like they've overstayed their welcome, but they are like a friend who has nowhere else to go, and I just can't bring myself to push them out the door.

Where would they end up? Living in some cardboard box, hidden away from the everyday world? What kind of life is that for a friend? What kind of tangled messes might they be? How long would they remain there, motionless, lifeless? Until someone like me happens upon them, maybe almost a year from now, maybe as the weather turns cold again, and says, "sure, come with me, I have just the place for you. I will let your light shine."

Rest well, dear friend. Your time to shine will come again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment