Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day Six: With Lemon


My freshman-year Honors English teacher in high school taught me this lesson, and I needed a little reminder of it today: Keep It Simple, Stupid!

As I was driving home, looking for a good photo opportunity, I made a detour and went past the Penny's Concrete plant in East Lawrence. The property includes mounds of stone and sand, conveyer belts running in every direction, trucks constantly moving in and out, a large control/operations building in which the concrete is mixed and loaded -- basically a lot of action that I thought would make for a good photograph.

I liked the idea because Penny's Concrete is less than 2 blocks from my house, yet you would never know it was there because it is so tucked out of the way of mainstream traffic. As it turns out, my photographic curiosity (and telephoto lens) also caught the eye of the plant manager, who came out to pay me a visit and - after a little confusion as to "which side of the fence" I was on - gave me the okay to snap away.

I walked away feeling like that little non-confrontation left a bad taste in my mouth, but really I think I just didn't get a photograph that I felt was blog-worthy.

So later at burger night (a time-tested weekly roommate tradition that has grown to include any friends and loved ones that are free and interested in a half-priced cheeseburger), I took out my camera and near-mindlessly snapped a couple photos of Emily's "water with lemon."

I like the results, and the simplicity of the picture.

So, if I ever find myself "on the fence" again, I'll remember to lean towards the simple side.

No comments:

Post a Comment