Friday, March 6, 2009

Day Sixty-Five: From a Distance

Kansas is not exactly known as a Land of Lakes, and while the University of Kansas has a beautiful campus in Lawrence, views of KU over bodies of water are a little harder to come by.

At first glance those familiar with Lawrence might think that the body of water featured here is the mighty Kaw, the Kansas River. In fact this is a small lake in the middle of a piece of farmland just off of Interstate 70 about a mile out of town.

I often roll right by this view at 70 miles per hour on my way in and out of town wishing I could pull my car over to the side of the turnpike and snap a picture of campus from a distance. Unfortunately a number of what I can only assume would be major traffic violations have kept me from doing so. But on this particular 80° day in March I decided to do a little exploring and find another path to this picturesque location.

After kicking up a little dust on some back roads and hiking about a quarter of a mile through woods and tall grass I came to a clearing by the water just in time to bother these two geese to leave behind their rocky perches and take a swim in the still-chilly water.

Today brought a colorful sunrise and many great picture opportunities. But in the end, this was a scene that I felt I might not be able to capture again, and so I went with it as my picture of the day: KU (almost) On the Waterfront.

No comments:

Post a Comment