Saturday, March 28, 2009

Special Edition: City Skylines

City skylines are some of my favorite things to photograph. Each city has its own feel and personality defined by the distribution of its buildings, the styles of its architecture, and the uniqueness of its landmarks.

Part of the fun in photographing skylines is searching for the best place to take a picture that captures the entire scene. This process of driving through downtowns, exploring surrounding neighborhoods, hiking up hillsides, etc, inevitably teaches me something new about each city and provides me with more elements to try to piece together in a photograph.

The entire process can take as little or as much time as I need and want. And because the buildings aren't going anywhere, I can plan for whatever time of day I feel might best capture the mood of the city (and of me) that day.

This spring break I traveled to destinations in six states in seven days. That gave me plenty of opportunities for picture taking, and many skylines to capture. In today's special edition I offer you one city skyline picture from each state I visited (and two from Minnesota...twins, if you will).

Click on any picture to enlarge it. I hope you enjoy!



Des Moines in the early morning from the capitol building.



Kansas City at dawn.



Chicago at night from the steps of the Adler Planetarium.

(This is the composition of two wide-angle pictures, showing the bright lights of downtown fading to the right out across Navy Pier -- the dot on the far right is a tour boat returning to dock.)




The University of Notre Dame skyline (with the steeple of the Basilica of the Scared Heart to the left) as seen from the Hesburgh Library at sunset. (Thanks, Matt!)



St. Louis at midday from the Eads Bridge across the Mississippi River.



Minneapolis at dusk.



St. Paul from the capitol steps, with downtown on the left and the Cathedral on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment