Monday, March 2, 2009

Day Sixty-One: A Fish Out of Water

Yes, I know I just posted a picture of a classic automobile on Mass Street a few days ago. And here I come with another car photo. But if there is one rule by which I have always lived, it is this:

"If you ever see a car built out of a hot tub
parked downtown in the middle of winter,
be sure to take a picture.
"

And if a 50's era Cadillac constitutes a "classic car," then surely this jacuzzimobile qualifies as an instant classic (?).

Now, I've been around the block a time or two. I know there are other cars out there with hot tubs in them. Not only is this the first one I have had the pleasure of seeing in person, it just looks so....how shall I say...."ready to be installed."

Literally it looks as though somebody lifted this hot tub straight from the back porch, slapped on a windshield and some wheels, and went out to chlorinate the town.

Beyond my wondering when I will see this octagonal vehicle again, and if at that time it will be fully operational, there are a few practical questions that spring to mind with cars like these:
  • what happens to the driver if the car must come to a sudden stop?
  • are the spare tires kept in the swimming trunks?
  • does this vehicle automatically qualify for the carpool lane?

I talked a few days ago about the "commonness of the uncommon" in Lawrence. There is always something unusual waiting to catch your eye. This uncommonality wasn't hard to spot, being the only car (and I use the term loosely) parked on its side of the street.

But I have a feeling that even if the block had been full of parked cars, this one still would have seemed a bit out of place....just like a fish out of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment