Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day One Hundred and Forty-One: Emerald City

The fountain sculpture looks like something straight out of the Lollipop Guild, but this isn't Oz.

Nonetheless, this view of the Lawrence visitor's center and train depot brings to mind that technicolor land just a rainbow's stretch away from another Kansas town. (Granted this is mostly due to the green tint I applied to the otherwise desaturated spotlit scene.)

Being from Kansas - but spending a significant part of my youth in another state - I was on the receiving end of a lot of "guess you're not in Kansas anymore!" jokes.

There really was no comeback to these pointed interjections. I didn't feel that wowing each jokester with my embarrassingly deep knowledge of the Wizard of Oz would yield quite the "zing" I was looking for: "Actually, the correct line that Dorothy delivers upon her entrance to Oz is 'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.'"

Then again, stating the obvious never seemed to do much in my defense, either: "No, I am not in Kansas, thanks for noticing."

In the end, I just learned to embrace my "inner Oz" and go along with the ribbing. It was all in good fun. Plus if it ever really tugged at my nerves, I could always imagine a wayward house falling on top of my assailant as he walked home later that day - oh, the irony!

Regarding today's picture, if you look closely at the night sky you will see a swoop of light that looks like it might be a hair in the camera lens.

In fact this is the light reflecting off one of the several bats that was circling above the visitor's center. It's hardly a flying monkey...but then again we're not in Oz any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment