Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day One Hundred and Twenty-Seven: Little Detours

Little detours. Life is full of them. Some are intended, some not so much. Some are welcome, some not so much. Maybe you came to this web page on a little detour.

When I'm on the road I sometimes indulge myself in taking little detours, especially if I find the stretch of road on which I'm currently traveling particularly boring (say, for instance, the stretch of Interstate 35 between Kansas City and Minneapolis that I have traversed hundreds of times before).

Today's detour was prompted by a spectacular sunset - of which I have witnessed many traveling north and south through Iowa - that was providing the colorful backdrop for a new wind farm located several miles off the main road, its powerful turbines rotating steadily through the evening breeze.

Taking the next exit onto a seldom used country road, I soon found myself leaning out the car window staring up at the massive structures, feeling dwarfed in comparison to their impressive stature.

Wondering if any curious or particularly territorial farm owners were looking on, I settled into a routine of pulling off to the side of the road, snapping a few pictures, ducking back into my car and rolling forward to the next opportune picture location.

So, where are the pictures, already?

Well, like I said, today is all about little detours. On my way back to the interstate I saw a sign pointing down another seldom-used road: "Clear Lake, 3 Miles."

Considering that I would have to pass by the city of Clear Lake, Iowa on my way north anyway, I took the country road towards town and soon found myself gazing ahead at the clam waters of the town's namesake.

Pulling over at the first opportunity I found two fishermen out on the end of a dock casting their lines into the lake as another fishing boat gave up on the remaining daylight and headed for shore.

This little detour had led me to my picture of the day.

Little detours. They are everywhere. If you found your way to this page on a little detour, I hope it was worth the extra time!

No comments:

Post a Comment