Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day One Hundred and Thirty-Two: Shadow Play, Part 3

Those that know me know the importance of music in my life. In Shadow Play, Part 1 I talked about what led me to choose the clarinet as my main band instrument (conclusion: I don't know).

One thing was clear in high school: the clarinet didn't make enough noise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were plenty of times that people would have considered the sounds coming out of my clarinet "noise" and not "music." We're talking volume, here. I wanted to make some real NOISE!

Having a dad who is a lifelong trumpet player (and therefore having access not only to a trumpet, but also to a trumpet teacher), I thought I could muscle up enough chops to at least leave my mark at a few pep rallies.

But it turns out my years of woodwind experience had given me strong lips but a relatively weak gut as far as brass playing goes.

I didn't master the trumpet in high school, but I'd like to think that I've learned and practiced enough now that - if it came down to it - I might be able to carry a tune, and you might even recognize it.

Here my shadow is being cast across a painting that Emily brought back for me on her recent trip to New Orleans - home of some great trumpeters!

Recognizable or not, at least I'm making NOISE!- er, music.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment