Friday, May 8, 2009

Day One Hundred and Twenty-Eight: Bridging the Gap

In downtown Minneapolis, 23 arches span their way across the Mississippi River.

(Don't bother counting them all - even with this panoramic composition of two separate pictures, I still couldn't capture the entire bridge.)

The Stone Arch Bridge was built in 1883 in an effort to "bridge the gap" between the east and west sides of the Mighty Mississippi.

Originally built to carry railroad traffic, the bridge is now a common thoroughfare for pedestrians and bicyclists, locals and tourists alike.

The Stone Arch Bridge is an oft visited and oft photographed Minneapolis landmark, so trying to find a unique view of the bridge is a challenge.
However, as I walked through downtown Minneapolis this morning, I was aided in my quest for originality by a highly reflective and freshly polished electrical box just behind the Guthrie Theater.

Here is a rather abstract view of the bridge, with the Mississippi waters flowing underneath and high-rises swirling in the background:

The swirls and curves of the metallic reflection provide a somewhat unstable view of what is in reality a very sturdy traffic way that has stood the test of time.

The Stone Arch Bridge and the surrounding remains of the milling district are some of my favorite places to visit when I am in Minnesota. I look forward to coming back soon!

Meanwhile, this photo shoot gave me a chance for a unique (and slimming) self-portrait:

No comments:

Post a Comment